20 April 2006

Meet the Preachers.


On this past Sunday morning (Easter, you know) there was a special edition of "Meet the Press" on the topic of "Faith in America," featuring Sister Joan Chittister, Rabbi Michael Lerner, author Jon Meacham, Professor Seyyed Hossein Nasr, Fr. Richard Neuhaus, and, ahem, Pastor Joel Osteen. You didn't get to see it because it was Sunday morning, and probably you don't turn the television on on Sundays anyway (except, of course, for sports). But now you (and I) can, thanks to the magic of the internet. There's a priceless moment when Fr. Neuhaus urges Sr. Chittister to consult her catechism. There's a lot of truly obnoxious cant, and a crazed leftist rant from Rabbi Lerner. Osteen preaches his version of Christianity-lite.
 

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't watched it yet, but I think it is interesting, as has been pointed out by others, that there was no representation of the mainline protestant churches on the program (but at least they didn't invite +Spong). I hadn't realized that Fr. Neuhaus was included; now I'm really looking forward to watching.

20 April, 2006 13:53  
Blogger Continuing Home said...

"But now you (and I) can, thanks to the magic of the internet."

Not me, unfortunately. I remain one of those still semi-cut-off by slow 26 kbps dialup (on a dry day, and I'm near Seattle). OTOH, I rarely watch TV, including games.

(Yes, we have broadband available -- but when the neighbors are talking "class action lawsuit" I'm not encouraged to sign up for the pricey service.)

20 April, 2006 21:50  
Blogger PSA+ said...

Until very recently, I was priding myself on my luddite-ism. Then one day I noticed high-speed wireless internet at home and office, laptop, cell phone, satellite radio. I will say, you can't go back from highspeed to dial up.

Scott, I think the absence of a mainliner from the show just illustrates that the mainline has become the sideline. Also interesting was Olsteen presence. Was he suppossed to count as an evangelical?

20 April, 2006 22:27  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I'm sure that was the intent. I guess we should just be thankful that apparently Pat Robertson wasn't available.

21 April, 2006 14:52  

Post a Comment

<< Home