07 December 2006

Larry Legend Is 50.


It's a big day. I'm going to celebrate by watching this (I own 3 copies).

Bob Ryan in the Boston Globe:

Just as older Bruins fans will tell you that hockey has never been the same for them since Bobby Orr retired, so, too, do many local basketball fans assert that the game will never again have the same allure as it did when No. 33 and friends were not only winning three championships as well as losing twice in the Finals, but were doing so with a brand of basketball that often transcended the mere entertaining to creep into the realm of inspiration.

And that's not hyperbole. That's the gospel truth.

 

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mine Iron Heart dominates the world of the weblog in much the same way that Larry Bird dominated the game of basketball. So glad to finally be able to link the arrival of Idabelle with Larry Legend in a formal sense. The following excerpt from Ryan's article really captures the essence of Bird for me:
"I had fun," he points out. "I can tell you right now I did smell the roses. Any time I felt good, I completely loved playing. If I felt good during the warm-up, if I had my balance, I could definitely tell you that somebody was going to get an ass-whipping. Of course, I remember it all. I remember that first game in the Garden. There were only about 10 or 11,000 people there and I remember the place smelled like stale beer. Probably why I liked it." Quality post, Friar Spud. It was fun to think of you when I learned it was Larry's 50th. We will never see another like him on the court...

07 December, 2006 21:30  
Blogger PSA+ said...

One tries, Ben, one tries. As I try to make clear at every opportunity, always ready to speak a word in season, as the Apostle saith, asking Larry Bird into my heart as a 12-year old has made all the difference.

As a sidelight, you'll be interested to know that have been hard at work attempting to compound a special stale beer incense. Once I accomplish this, it will be on to stale beer-scented candles, &c.

08 December, 2006 08:58  

Post a Comment

<< Home