12 March 2007

Viva Vilas.

When I was an 11-yr. old tennis player, most of the other kids were Borg or Connors fans. Not me - Guillermo Vilas was my man. Roger Federer finally lost a match yesterday, snapping his 41-match streak, five matches shy of Vilas' record.

INDIAN WELLS, Calif. -- Guillermo Canas snapped Roger Federer's 41-match winning streak Sunday, beating the world's top player 7-5, 6-2 in the second round of the Pacific Life Open.

"It was just a normal loss, like I've had about 100 times on tour," Federer said.

"That's normal to tennis. I have no problems. He played very well. I missed my chances. I think he played very well and I didn't think I was playing poorly at all. So it's OK."

Federer had arrived at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden having won seven consecutive tournaments and was considered an odds-on favorite to break the record of 46 straight matches won by Guillermo Vilas of Argentina 30 years ago.

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home